Thursday, December 30, 2010

Trip to the ER

So today, my mom, Elias and I went to the Children's Museum for a few hours. It was a lot of walking, of course, and I actually had to sit a lot. Anyway, when we finally made it home, I fell onto the couch and stayed. Elias and I sent Steve out to get dinner (since I refused to get up and make anything). I was actually sitting on the couch reading a post on Baby Center about a couple of women who had had period like blood loss that hadn't hurt their babies when I felt like I was leaking something, so I headed into the bathroom. As I sat, I noticed bright red blood in my panties. However, as I started to pee, I lost a ton of blood including a clot. Of course I freaked out, stood up, got blood on the floor and me while yelling for Elias to get my phone. After calling and texting Steve over and over at least 5 times, he finally answered the phone. I told him what happened and to come home now. We were going to the ER.

While waiting for Steve to come home, I somehow changed my panties, cleaned up the bathroom, convinced Elias to get his shirt and socks on and to fill his backpack with toys for the waiting room, called Steve's mom to meet us at the ER to take Elias, turned out the lights etc. all the while crying and trying to to hold it together at the same time. I called my mom on the way there.

Once we got there, and I somehow told the nurses my issue through the tears, the waiting began. Although I thought that actively bleeding would jump you to the top of the list, we had to wait at least an hour for the ultrasound tech to arrive. Luckily, I didn't bleed through my pants in the meantime. Anyway, we finally went back for the ultrasound. The tech told us that he wouldn't be able to tell us anything since he wasn't a doctor, but I knew what a heart beat looked like and that's all I wanted to see. Luckily, another tech came in and took his spot and she was much more open with us. As soon as she started the scan, I saw a little dancing baby and a heart beat. I lost it again, as did Steve. He had hid how scared he was really well, but he teared up too when he saw our babies. She quickly found the other baby and his/her heartbeat. I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure they would find two dead babies. Throughout the scan, I sat back and watched my beautiful babies dancing around and marveled that the night was turning out much different than I could've dreamed.

So today I am officially 11 wks 2 days. Baby A measured 12 wks with a HR of 164. He/she was kinda quiet. Baby B measured 11 wks 4 days with a HR of 174 and was very active. The tech mentioned several times that my uterus was large. I guess that explains why I look so huge already! I did ask the tech if she could tell if they were boys or girls yet. She tried to look, but the baby was not going to sit still. She did mention she thought one of them looked like a girl, but couldn't be sure. I was scanned three different ways to attempt to locate the source of the bleeding.

After the ultrasound, I was sent to a room. A doctor came in and did a scope. He removed a blood clot, but said he didn't see any active bleeding or conception tissue. He did tell me that bleeding this early means I'll be diagnosed with a threatened miscarriage. He also said that since we saw the heart beats, I have an 80% chance of having a normal pregnancy. After talking with the radiation doctor who looked at my ultrasounds, he said that the babies looked great. They noticed that Baby A is sitting directly on top of my cervix and is the cause of the blood loss. He said this does nothing to hurt the baby, but it will have to be monitored by ultrasounds if he/she doesn't move up on his/her own. They called my OB who put me on pelvic rest for now and will call me on Monday for a follow up.

It was a very scary night for all of us. All I can do at this point is thank God for protecting me and my babies!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I saw your blog from facebook and I thought I'd check it out. I SO wish I would have done something like this when I was pregnant with the girls.
    Anyway, read your entry and I wanted to let you know that the EXACT same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with Sam & Abby. I was 8 or 9 weeks pregnant and began gushing blood, sorry TMI! I was COMPLETELY terrified and ran to the doctor. He said it was the biggest blood clot he had ever seen, but the babies were just fine and I went on to have a normal pregnancy. So don't worry (easier said then done, I know!), everything will be fine! My doc did say you're more likely to bleed with multiples because of the extra weight and stress to your body.

    Hope you've enjoyed the break! I know my kids have; hopefully Jack won't be upset to go back on Thursday.
    Happy New Year!

    Sara Meier