Thursday, May 5, 2011

Twenty Nine Weeks, Two Days

Someone is having the hiccups. The first time I only noticed because I put my hand on my belly and could feel them from the outside but not the inside. Now, I can watch my belly go up and down!

We went to a Cub's game at Wrigley field to celebrate our one year anniversary. I was a little worried about the car ride and the walking and the stairs and the sitting, but I went anyway. The car ride was fine...except for my back which always hurts so whatever...we found a man on a bike with a little carriage thing (rickshaw?) to ride us to the stadium from our car...which Elias found extremely exciting...I only had to go up a ramp and down like 8 stairs...and I stood up between every inning and stretched. The only hiccup was the first time the Cubs hit a long ball...which was, I don't know, the very first batter...I stood up too fast and blacked out, started to fall over, caught myself on Steve which then caused him to spill his one and only beer for the day on the girls in front of us. Oops.

So the whole family came in for Easter, and it was so nice to see them all. The topic of discussion for the day: my cankles. Love you all too! :)

Doctor appt. update: I gained more weight. Even the doctor mentioned the jump in my weight when she came in (11 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks). I asked her if I should be concerned and she said it's perfectly normal for twins. My blood count had also dropped which means that I'm now anemic and going on iron supplements. Hopefully that will help with the tiredness. Everything else sounded/looked/measured great!

That was Tuesday...

The Great American ER Tour Continues...

Friday night, I woke up several times with painful pains like I was gonna start my period. The babies weren't moving around very much either. I tried to ignore it for most of the day. But I couldn't do much, the cramps were coming and going and getting stronger, I felt nauseous and a little dizzy, and I was about to cry. So I finally called the doctor who of course sent me directly to labor and delivery. I thought for sure that they'd check my cervix, find it long and closed, monitor me for an hour and send me home. It was such a beautiful day and I didn't want to spend it in the hospital.

So we get to Methodist, they hook me up to all the monitors and everything looks fine...until they check my cervix and find it had opened to 1 cm. The good news is that it's still really thick. So they gave me a steroid shot for the babies' lungs right then and another one 24 hours later.

Once I got moved up to my own room, the monitors were all hooked back up. The babies heart rates were great and they started kicking at the monitors a lot,but I've never had a true, stomach-hardening contraction...even with Elias, so I wasn't surprised when the nurse told me that I was having contractions a couple times a half hour. Also, the cramps were getting worse and worse, so they gave me a shot of Terbutaline to relax my cervix. It made my heart race and I got very shaky, but it finally gave me some relief.

I also got to spend the night. They gave me a sleeping pill, which I was extra excited about...but I still woke up 3 or 4 times. Oh well...the cramps stopped and I was able to get some sleep. Doctor sent me home the next day with instructions of no work for the week, bed rest only the first 2 days, and light movement the rest.

Only when I'm on bed rest does Elias do things like spill an entire cup of chocolate milk on the floor, pee the bed (for the first time in years), fill the family room with little sytrofoam pieces, and throw his hat in the van, which then makes me have to crawl around in the van until I can find it. I was a little worried that I was gonna kill him, but instead, I scheduled his kindergarten shots for tomorrow morning. Payback!

Fun facts: I am now the size I was when Elias was born, and I'm already starting to leak! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment