Sunday, July 3, 2011

Thirty Eight Weeks, Zero Days

I really didn't want to take another 2 week progress picture, but here we are...

Last Thursday, I had been pretty busy, but hadn't felt the babies move all day. So that night, when they are usually the most active, Steve and I sat on the couch and waited for something. I drank my water, put an ice pack on them (I know this works from having PUPPP), and moved them around for a bit, and still nothing. I then called Aunt Myra...she tells me to drink some caffeine and wait a half hour and they should be jumping around. So Steve gets me a flat, gross coke...still nothing. So I called the doctor around 10pm. She tells me, of course, to head in to Labor and Delivery. Poor Grandma Linda had to come sit with Elias while we went in.

At the hospital, they put me on the monitors for a non-stress test. Brant of course responded pretty quickly, but Brax was taking his sweet time. They checked my cervix (no change), told me they looked fine on the monitors and to call Dr. Soper in the morning to schedule an ultrasound.

The next day, I went in for the Biophysical Profile ultrasound which measures body movements, muscle tone (flexing of the arms and legs), breathing movements, and amount of amniotic fluid. Each criteria is scored with either a 0 if absent or 2 if present. It was extremely uncomfortable laying on my back for an hour and 15 minutes, but I was really excited to see just how big the babies had gotten. Unfortunately, that didn't last long once she was finished. Both babies are measuring two weeks small. I was 37 weeks, 3 days:

Brant measured in at 35 weeks, 4 days; 5 lb 3 oz and had a heart rate of 133.
Brax measured in at 35 weeks, 3 days; 5 lb 15 oz and had a heart rate of 138.

The ultrasound can be off on weight by 14 oz either way. Also, Brax never practiced breathing. So Brant got a perfect 8/8 and Brax only got 6/8. The doctor assures me this is fine, but I can't help but worry a little, especially since Elias still has to get breathing treatments.

So now I'm torn between wanting the babies to be born so I can keep an eye on them and make sure they're not going to lose any weight or have any other trouble and keeping them in as long as possible so they can hopefully get bigger and work on the breathing thing. I guess it doesn't really matter, since I obviously have NO SAY! :)

On an positive note, I no longer suffer (and I mean suffer) from PUPPP. I cried (yes literally cried) at my last doctor's appointment because I thought I might have a nervous breakdown and she prescribed me a medication that is usually given to those with severe poison ivy and after the second day, it stopped itching for the most part, and by day five, most of the rash has gone away. Now it's mostly the scabs from me scratching until I bled. Thank God!

I can definitely wait out the last couple of weeks now with hardly any problems. I can still get around pretty well and I feel good. In fact, I just put together a big piece of furniture in just six hours (I'm very proud) even with a big belly and having to get up and down off of the floor.

Fun fact: My fat feet can no longer fit in any of my sandals or flip flops. I've been wearing my tennis shoes exclusively for about 4 weeks now. BUT...I can still tie my own shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment